Bodybuilding Diet

Share success!

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 13 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated by Mark Farmer.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mark Farmer
    Keymaster

Alright, corona virus has me putting on the covid 15: 15 pounds from quarantining in my house, no dancing like I used to and not feelin’ the workouts…

Bleh.

Seriously thought I’d gotten at least 20 pounds over… but just weighed myself today and I’m 202.5 (where I’m usually 195). So… Covid 7.5 :/

But time to kick it and get back to fighting weight. I posted the article Bodybuilding Diet on a Budget partially because of all of that.

So, goal: Let’s hit this diet, fairly strictly for the next 2 weeks; working out 3x/wk with weights; 3x/wk cardio. Calories on the diet are, frankly, more than I need so I likely won’t be eating every meal. I’ve already been doing the diet for 3 days so will post some initial thoughts in the next post here.

Join me, either following this diet or your own (I’d encourage you to start your own thread) and let’s support each other!

Your Partner in Success,
      ~ Mark

Mark Farmer
      Keymaster

Initial thoughts:

• MAN is this diet, as written a LOT of food. Without oil to cook it in and candy or sugar driving up the calories… just fresh, healthy food is DENSE
        • Love that this is a budget diet. Shopping bill literally came to ~$100 for enough food for 2 weeks (I already had some of it on hand)
        • As I said in the first post, I’ve actually been doing this diet now for 3 days. I’m not eating every meal. I probably, consistently, get in the first 3 to 4 before it’s just too late. That being said, as above: it’s too much food for me to eat.
        • Have been super proud of myself: usually I have a HUGE sweet tooth… but, so far I’ve only had 3 snack-sized candy bars and one slice of sugared bread
        • Working hard to get in at least a gallon of water a day. I had been using water sweeteners (Mio, Kool Aid sugar free) but I’m a bit concerned at the amount of chemicals I’m drinking using those, so am trying to wean myself off of the sweet taste for just plain water
        • there’s a few other mainstays in my diet that I’m not giving up
        • Coffee with REAL, heavy cream. But, as a concession I have resorted to artificial sweetener in place of my usual sugar
        • My pre and post workout nutrition: scoop of whey protein mixed with water, 10g of BCAAs, 5g of Arginine, and a small fruit (for energy) before; scoop of whey protein mixed with white grape juice, glutamine and creatine after.
        Mark Farmer
        Keymaster

I’ll work to update the thread as I go, but would LOVE to hear, either your thoughts on the Bodybuilding Diet (linked above), about your own nutritional goals or just some love and encouragement!

User AvatarMyGoals1
          Participant

Diet usually never works over the long-term, at least for me. I end up binging on the food I restricted for a while 😐

Mark Farmer
            Keymaster

I don’t know a girl I know SWEARS that it’s easier if you just eat the same thing(s) everyday. I like the diet (er… when I follow it (side eye)) and noticed fairly quick results while I was following it.

Honestly it, actually, was a lot of food to eat each day.

Don’t know… you posting to the thread actually gave me a boost. Let’s see what happens tomorrow and if I can get back on it (AND some workouts)

Mark Farmer
              Keymaster

@Odmaa you are a dork

User AvatarGoalSetter19
                Participant

🤣

User Avatarkoleah
                  Participant

My pre and post workout nutrition: scoop of whey protein mixed with water, 10g of BCAAs,

Why you think you need whey AND bcaa’s in the same shake?

https://www.gymfailedyou.com/bcaa-vs-whey-protein/

>Here’s the most important point!!!!

So we’ve established that approximately 5g of BCAA a day promotes muscle synthesis. It also lessons post-exercise muscle soreness.

We’ve also noted that taking too much of a particular amino acid creates an imbalance for others. This is because of the absorption competition.

Most whey protein supplement shakes contain approximately 5g of BCAA…

And you’re likely already drinking shakes…

Thus there is no need for the additional expense of BCAA powder or pills. Save your money!

User AvatarMyGoals1
                    Participant

Curious to hear how your diet is going

diet

Mark Farmer
                      Keymaster

Kolea, ingesting both has to do with freeing up the protein for how it’s best used – BCAA get to be absorbed together for repair; whey protein go straight into synthesis rather than repair

It’s also a belt/suspenders situation

The stack that I use is for ideal nutrition, some parts of it likely ARE a waste of money: glutamine, for instance. Very little research that taken as a supplement it does anything

and let’s be frank about protein supplementation at all: it’s HIGHLY likely that you DON’T need 2 g or even 1 g of protein per pound of body weight

Part of the old-fashioned piss tests for nitrogen were simply oriented around whether or not your body was excreting protein – showing that you were literally pissing it away

You messaged directly asking, “Wait so what do you think the difference is between synthesis and repair???”

Posting here to continue the conversation:

My understanding (which may be dated or flawed) is that proportions facilitate use. Whey needs to be broken into it’s components, which are then subject to uptake on first come, first serve basis. BC BCAAs are already “component-ized” those are easily used/served to repair

In short, yes: repair of damaged fiber is dif. than building new fiber

but again, the main idea is 2 fold:
                        – serve ’em up how it’s easiest used; and
                        – belt and suspenders

It’s not incredible bc it examine other outcomes, but e.g. this article: “There are several possible explanations for the lack of robust association between whey supplementation and fasting blood BCAA patterns reported here.”
                        https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/145/4/691/4585696

describing different absorption / effects from ingesting straight BCAA vs. Whey
                        Anytime the body has to break something down it’s use changes – e.g. not all proteins are digested equally fast, meaning that whey will break down in to some aminos… while other have yet to be broken down for individual absorption
                        and the ratios of availability affect how body’s going to use ’em
                        again… this is all in my largely, lay-person, old-school belief systems (many, tho, of which have stood the test of time)

VERY lay-person, unsupported phrasing: https://www.briancolemd.com/blogpost/2018/12/31/amino-acids-vs-protein-powder/

This is a little more on point, although I’m unsure if the study’s conclusion supports my old-school beliefs: “Theoretically, the maximal stimulation of muscle protein synthesis in the post-absorptive state in response to BCAAs alone is the difference between muscle protein breakdown and muscle protein synthesis (about 30% greater than synthesis), because the other EAAs required for synthesis of new protein can only be derived from muscle protein breakdown.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5568273/

Mark Farmer
                        Keymaster

Ah, the study I just cited concludes, “We conclude that the claim that consumption of dietary BCAAs stimulates muscle protein synthesis or produces an anabolic response in human subjects is unwarranted.”
                          so they’re sayin’… nope.

User Avatarkoleah
                          Participant

So after reading that conclusion are you still going to use BCAAs?

I think the only time i use them is when I want some protein after a cardio workout and don’t plan to eat for a while and don’t want a scoop of whey.

BUT I JUST CAME UP WITH THE BEST RECIPE FOR A PROTEIN SHAKE THAT I’VE HAD IN A LONG TIME.

Mark Farmer
                            Keymaster

I think I need to do some more research – BCAA’s have been such a long part of my regime, my mind automatically goes to them. I’d SWEAR that there IS some evidence SOMEWHERE that they stave off muscle loss.

For the most part I use them immediately prior to a workout, in addition to Whey. Occasionally I’ll use them 1st thing in the morning for the same reason.

But I was also a long-time user of Glutamine. And the evidence for that never came through. I’d buy it anyways, because it’s so cheap and I figured “better safe than sorry,” but after never finding evidence of efficacy I finally gave that up.

Curious to hear about your protein shake recipe? god forbid it be another version of your extra-fat-laden monstrosity you used to drink LOLz

Mark Farmer
                              Keymaster

So… revisiting this:

Yea, these articles reminded me: although whey/caseinate is eventually broken down to protein components… BCAA are more absorbable and stave off glycogen depletion.

BCAA’s before working out… are quickly absorbed and stop muscle wasting, while the whey (or other protein source) is more slowly absorbed to feed muscles during a long workout and immediately after

Whey Protein vs. BCAA: Which is Better?

https://www.gnc.com/fitness/bcaa-vs-protein.html#:~:text=When%20To%20Take%20Aminos,muscles%20and%20preserve%20glycogen%20stores

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Share success!